Image Map

Thursday, October 27, 2016

Why I Became a Dyslexia Therapist




The field of education is a unique and rewarding career path. Many educators choose the career path because they were inspired by someone, have a desire to help others, and have a strong passionate heart.

I knew that I wanted to be a teacher from a young age when I set up a classroom in my basement and asked for an overhead projector for Christmas. I went on to college and graduated with a degree in Elementary and Special Education. However, my teaching path is quite unique.

My younger brother is dyslexic and struggled in grade school because he was not being taught in the way that he learned best. However, the public schools would not admit that he was dyslexic and that they did not have the resources to help him.  My mom had him tested privately and he was diagnosed with Dyslexia. Therefore, in third grade he began going to tutoring 3x a week with a wonderful lady who taught him how to read using the Orton-Gillingham Approach.

My brother's reading improved greatly and through it I discovered my passion! I became a Dyslexia Therapist to help children like my brother receive the proper interventions! 

After graduating from college, I google searched Orton-Gillingham training and a fantastic school in Charleston, South Carolina with a year-long practicum was at the top of the results list! I applied and moved from Maryland to South Carolina that summer to begin training.

I worked as a special education teacher and 1:1 language teacher using the Orton-Gillingham Approach for two years at a private non-profit school for children with oral-language based disabilities. I received my Associate Level Certification and went on to begin classes to achieve my Certified Level Certification through the Academy of Orton-Gillingham Practitioners and Educators. I currently work at a private practice as a Dyslexia Therapist traveling into area private schools and teaching students 1:1 after school.

I highly recommend training in the Orton-Gillingham Approach to any teacher seeking a specialized path in reading! The Orton-Gillingham Approach can benefit any learner!


No comments:

Post a Comment