Image Map

Friday, July 22, 2016

Engaging Your Readers




One of the biggest questions my students ask when they walk through my door is, "What reading game are we playing today?" This question always brings a smile to my face because I know that my students, who once did not enjoy reading, are now enthusiastic and excited to read! For many of us Dyslexia Therapists and Special Education Teachers, our students' confidence is a huge hurtle when we first begin working with them. It is part of our job to increase their confidence and teach them how fun reading can be by doing so in an engaging, multi-sensory manner. 


No automatic alt text available. Playing a game of Go Fish makes reading soo much fun! Students don't even realize they are reading. Go fish games have also been a fabulous behavior management tool. I often offer it as a reward for finishing a lesson. They think they are just playing a game, but really they are spiraling back and reviewing previously learned concepts. Win, Win!

No automatic alt text available. Board games are also a fun way to encourage your reluctant readers.


No automatic alt text available.   I also keep piles of notecards on hard for a hands-on, multi-sensory way to teach concepts. My students love to "cut" the words apart as they separate base words from suffixes or are dividing words by syllables.


No automatic alt text available.  Image may contain: text   Image may contain: one or more people
 I create fun sand trays that encourage students to practice their sounds by means of the OG card drill, spell words, or practice red (sight) words. Changing up the sand trays (during holidays) provides for an easy way to add something "new" to a lesson!


Many of the games that I use in my practice are available in my Teachers Pay Teachers store, Special Inspirations. All of which are approved and inspired by my amazing students. They are also suitable for use during Orton-Gillingham Lessons or with programs based on similar principles.














No comments:

Post a Comment